HWW LEGACY PROGRAM
Global Finance Consultancy for MFIs and NGOs
High Water Women pioneered groundbreaking initiatives designed in partnership with leading Microfinance Institutions to foster a connection between private-sector volunteerism and MFIs.
HWW volunteers created educational modules including Financial Risk Management and Investor Readiness for MFIs providing the basis for on-site and follow-up consulting services.
HWW was active with domestic MFIs, evaluating loan applications and providing entrepreneur business skills training.
HWW hosted workshops, symposiums, information sessions and donor events to promote interest and volunteerism in Microfinance.
HWW’s volunteers brought professional expertise in banking, capital markets, treasury and related fields that were of immediate value to Microfinance Institutions.
- Before going into the field, our volunteers were trained in the issues facing Microfinance Institutions and were positioned to share best practices in a consultative capacity, with a focus on improving both social and financial performance.
- HWW volunteers traveled into the field to complete pro bono assignments on behalf of Microfinance Partners in Colombia, Ghana, Philippines and Liberia and have worked with MFI’s in Guatemala and Haiti.
- Engagements ranged from focused, short-term projects to long-term, multi-disciplinary partnerships.
HWW volunteers worked in a consultative capacity with second or third tier Microfinance Institutions with little access to outside technical expertise to provide solutions, offering a tailored approach, balancing financial discipline with social benefit to create sustainability.
- Assisted in instituting internal processes and procedures to enhance governance and scale effectively while ensuring the MFI stays true to its mission.
Consultancy for MFIs and NGOs: Specific areas of expertise
- MFI risk issues identification of key
- Financial risk management best practices, structure and oversight
- Strategic planning and business plan development
- Assessment of capital needs and path to sustainability
- Financial sponsor, donor and marketing information
- Consultation on oversight structure and required skills and resources
- Board structure and membership
Identification of Servicers
- Assist MFIs in identifying and structuring arrangements with consultants, legal services, and third-party vendors