Fully-supplied backpacks help children start school ready to learn
Since the annual High Water Women Backpack Drive began in 2005, over 150,972 children in need have been able to start the school year with new backpacks ready to learn!
Thanks to the amazing support of over 1,000 donors and volunteers, in 2020 HWW provided 6,700 school backpacks stuffed with age-appropriate school supplies to children in need in the New York City / Connecticut / New Jersey areas.
This year we have partnered with the Sydney Paige Foundation to provide our backpacks and supplies. Their mission is to provide backpacks to low income children throughout the United States. We hope you will join with us in making this happen.
Our 2021 goal is to provide at least 10,000 backpacks to low-income children in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut!
Total children benefited
Donors and volunteers
Goal for Backpack Drive
Help us meet our goal of 20,000 backpacks in 2019 by joining our team of sponsors and volunteers
"One of the young girls put it on immediately upon receiving it and wouldn't take it off or let it touch the ground..."
There are several different ways to get involved
Consider which of the following would work best for your company:
- Make a corporate donation, through a Company Foundation, Community Affairs or Corporate Social Responsibility Department, to fund backpacks for children in need
- Your employees can run a fundraiser directly making contributions – many companies will then match!
- Sponsor a backpack drive, fundraising and assembly for one of HWW's Charitable Partners
- Have your Summer Interns manage a backpack fundraising and assembly as a team-building project
- Send your company volunteers, often members of a corporate Affinity Group, to HWW Summer Assembly events following up with a Volunteer Grant to HWW based on the number of company participants and hours
HWW would like to thank our top donors of 2020
- Brown Advisory
- Hunt Lane Capital
- Kingdon Capital
- Partners Group
A HWW Backpack Drive short film
A short film featuring children from program partners Women in Need and Good Shepherd Services.
Who receives HWW backpacks
HWW works with many schools and nonprofits to reach children in need of backpacks in all 5 NYC Boroughs plus NJ and CT. Our Charitable Partners for 2020 included:
- The Child Center of NY
- Children's Village
- Family and Children’s Agency
- Good Shepherd Services
- Hunts Point Alliance for Children
- Iris House
- New Alternatives for Children
- Newark Church Backpack Drive
- Nourish NJ
- Partnership with Children
- Southport Congregational Church
- Student Leadership
- Wynona House
Children grades kindergarten through high school receive backpacks
Backpacks include grade appropriate supplies including:
- loose leaf paper
- pencil cases
- graph paper
Volunteer now to help stuff backpacks with supplies children can use to start the school year ready to learn