Backpacks Help Children Start School Ready To Learn
PLEASE consider the High Water Women Backpack Drive when planning and budgeting for employee volunteerism and community engagement in 2019. Since the annual High Water Women (HWW) Backpack Drive began in 2005 over 137,300 children in need have been able to start the school year with new backpacks ready to learn!
Thanks to the amazing support of over 1,500 donors and volunteers, in 2018 High Water Women provided 12,800 school backpacks stuffed with age-appropriate school supplies to children in need in the NYC/CT/NJ areas. Our goal for 2019 is to provide at least 20,000 backpacks! Helping assemble and distribute backpacks is a great way for company employees to participate in helping your community. We would be grateful to receive your funding and volunteer support in 2019.
- There are several different ways for your company to get involved. Consider which of the following would work best for you:
- Make a corporate donation, through a Company Foundation, Community Affairs or Corporate Social Responsibility Department, to fund backpacks for children in need. Also, your employees can run a fundraiser directly making contributions – many companies will then match!
- Make a corporate donation and send company volunteers to assemble backpacks at the HWW Summer Assembly events in NYC and CT.
- Sponsor a backpack drive, fundraising and assembly, for one of HWW's Charitable Partners.
- Have your Summer Interns manage a backpack fundraise and assembly as a team-building project.
- Send company volunteers, often members of a corporate Affinity Group, to HWW Summer Assembly events following up with a Volunteer Grant to HWW based on the number of company participants and hours.
More than 1,500 donors and volunteers participated in the 2018 Backpack Drive, which took place at more than twenty-five assembly/distribution locations in New York and Connecticut in June, July and August. Many financial services and other companies supported the drive and participated in backpack assemblies.
HWW would like to thank our top donors of 2018 including Thomson Reuters for featuring the High Water Women Backpack Drive as the charitable partner of their 2018 Lipper Awards dinner held in NYC.
Allianz Global Investors | AXA | Barclays Bank | Brown Advisory | Corbin Capital Partners | Credit Suisse | Hunt Lane Capital | Institutional Investor | Jenner & Block | Jennison | Kingdon Capital | KPMG | Mercer (CT Offices) Meredith Inc. | MetLife | Morgan Stanley | One William Street | Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe | Pershing Square Capital | Prudential Financial | Reed Smith | The Better Collection | Third Avenue Funds | Westwood Partners
Watch our short film about the Backpack Drive featuring children from program partners Women in Need and Good Shepherd Services. Watch the video now.
You can also view our press release here.
Who Receives HWW Backpacks
High Water Women works with many schools and nonprofits to reach children in need of backpacks in all 5 NYC Boroughs plus NJ, CT and Boston.
Our Charitable Partners for 2018 included:
Children grades kindergarten through high school receive backpacks and supplies appropriate for grade level.
Backpacks include grade appropriate supplies including notebooks, folders, loose leaf paper, markers, pens, pencils, pencil cases, protractors, calculators, graph paper, staplers, dictionaries, scissors, erasers, crayons, rulers.