THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION
High Water Women's Investing for Impact Symposium
October 17, 2018
Since 2013, High Water Women's Investing for Impact Symposium has evolved into an important gathering for impact investors who want to connect with other investors, advisors, and investment professionals. Past attendees have been impressed with the unique opportunities to network, our expertly curated program, and the breadth of experience brought by our speakers and discussion leaders, allowing for a closer examination and in-depth discussion of key impact topics and issues.
Our 2018 Symposium used the framework of the Sustainable Development Goals to build on the themes that HWW has been exploring since it first launched its impact symposium program in 2013: the practical realities of building an impact portfolio, the opportunities and challenges for acting, the latest developments in impact investing, and women in the impact investment marketplace.
- 2018 Symposium Agenda
- 2018 Speaker Biographies
- 2018 Symposium Acknowledgements w. Agenda
- 2018 Attendance List
- Robert Brown, Senior Partner, Atlas Impact Partners
- Adam Heltzer, Head of ESG and Sustainability, Partners Group
- Roelfien Kuijpers, Head of Responsible Investments & Strategic Relationships, DWS
- Anna Pot, Manager, Responsible Investments, APG Asset Management
- Eric Rice, Managing Director & Portfolio Manager, Wellington Management
- Moderator: Yana Kakar, Global Managing Partner, Dalberg Advisors
- Public Equities: Diana van Maasdijk, Co-founder & Executive Director, Equileap
- Venture Capital: Dr. Gitanjali Swamy, Managing Partner, IoTask
- Achieving Gender Equity: Katherine St. Onge, Director, Syndications and Institutional Partnerships, Calvert Impact Capital
- The Billion Dollar Fund for Women: Shelly Porges, Co-Founder & Managing Partner
- Sasha Brown, Principal, Ecosystem Integrity Fund
- Marc Diaz, Finance Leaders Fellow, Aspen Institute
- Diana Propper de Callejon, Managing Director, Cranemere
- Jonathan Rose, President, Jonathan Rose Companies
- Moderator: Rehana Nathoo, Founder & CEO, Spectrum Impact
Breakout Sessions- Selected Video and Audio
- Louisa Burwood-Taylor, Head of Media/Editor, AgFunder
- Sanjeev Krishnan, Managing Director & CIO, Seed 2 Growth Ventures
- Nadja Pinnavaia, Founder & CEO, Euphebe Healthcare
- Shen Tong, Managing Partner, FoodFutureCo
- Moderator: Charlotte Kim, Partner Wilson, Sonsini Goodrich and Rosati
- Heather Eisenlord, Partner, RPCK
- Karen Karp, President, KK&P
- Lisa Sebasta, Founder, Sitari Capital
- Ridge Shinn, Founder & CEO, Big Picture Beef
- Renee Vassilos, Founder, Banyan Innovation Group
- Briana Warner, CEO, Ocean Approved
- Moderator: Aaron Niederhelman, Co-Founder &CEO, OneHealthAg
- Paul O'Connell, Founder & CEO, Sanolas, LLC
- Leah Wood, Associate Director, Client Service, Impax Asset Management
- Christie Zarkovich, Managing Director, Cambridge Associates
- Moderator: Margot Kane, Advisor, Quantified Ventures/Circulate Capital
- Sarah Kearney, Founder & Executive Director, Prime Coalition
- Zachary Knight, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Blue Forest Conservation
- Asha Mehta, SVP, Director, Portfolio Manager, Acadian Asset Management
- Jennifer von Bismarck, Managing Director, Arena Investments
- Moderator: Bill Davis, Founder & Managing Director, Stance Capital
2018 Symposium Supporters
High Water Women's 2017 Investing for Impact Symposium
- 2017 Symposium Highlights
- 2017 Symposium Agenda
- 2017 Symposium Speaker Biographies
- 2017 Symposium Program w. Acknowledgements
- 2017 Symposium Attendee List
- Video and Audio from Panels and Breakout Sessions
- Change Maker: Visible Leaders (video) — Perspectives on investing with impact from Valerie Rockefeller, Trustee, Chair, Rockefeller Brothers Fund interviewed by Debra Schwartz, Managing Director of Impact Investments, MacArthur Foundation.
- Taking Action: Removing Obstacles to Change (video) — Examining the challenges and obstacles to adoption and achieving scale/impact.
- Dana Bezerra, Senior Vice President, Heron Foundation | Michael Lear, Vice President, Bernstein Wealth Management | Christina Leijonhufvud, Managing Partner, Tideline | Laurie Spengler, President & CEO, Enclude Solutions | Susan Hammel, President, Cogent Consulting (Moderator)
- Fighting for A Better World: Women in Impact Investing (video) — The leadership role of women in driving impact investing.
- Angela Lee, Founder, 37 Angels | Alicia Robb, Founder & CEO, Next Wave | Ruth Shaber, President, Tara Health Foundation | Madji Sock, Global Operating Partner, Dalberg Global Development Advisors | Vicki Benjamin, President, Calvert Investments (Moderator)
- Environment and Climate (video) — Integrating the environment opportunity and climate risk into investment portfolios.
- Rob Day, General Partner, Spring Lane Capital | JoAnn Hanson, President, Church Investment Group | Joseph Kinard, Chair, Committee on Mission Responsibility Through Investment, Presbyterian Church | Kareen Laton, Partner, Head of Marketing & COO Asset Management, Greentech Capital Advisors | Torsten Marshall, Partner, Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe | David Richardson, Executive Director, Global Head of Marketing & Client Service, Impax Asset Management (Moderator)
- Diversity (video) — Achieving true diversity across investment strategies and asset classes.
- John Duong, Director of Impact Investing, Lumina Foundation | Hunter Lovins, President, Natural Capitalism Solutions | Elisa Miller-Out, Managing Partner, Chloe Capital | Mina Pacheco Nazemi, Founder & Managing Partner, Aldea Capital Partners | Monique Aiken, Vice President Programs, Mission Investors Exchange (Moderator)
- Spotlight: Women Investors Are the Solution to the World’s Problems! (video) — Presented by Sara Brand, General Partner, True Wealth Ventures.
- Fireside Chat with Governor Deval Patrick (video) — Interviewed by Imogen Rose-Smith, Investment Fellow, University of California.
- Panel Discussion: IMPACT! Impact Investing in the New Age of Social Activism (video) — The place of impact investing in social and environmental activism.
- Suzanne Biegel, Founder, Catalyst at Large | Jay Lipman, Co-founder, Ethic | Jason Scott, Partner, Encourage Capital | Fran Seegull, Executive Director U.S. Impact Investing Alliance at Ford Foundation | Gitanjali Swamy, Managing Director, IoTask | David Bank, Editor & CEO, ImpactAlpha (Moderator)
- Panel Discussion: Go Big or Go Home (video) — What is the future of impact investing? The best bold new ideas driving impact investing today.
- Ron Cordes, Co-founder, Cordes Foundation | Debbie McCoy, Managing Director, BlackRock | Jameela Pedicini, Director, Asset Management, Perella Weinberg | Brace Young, Partner, Arabesque | Emily Chasan, Sustainable Finance Editor, Bloomberg (Moderator)
- Urban Development (audio) — The role of impact investments in transforming cities.
- Olympia DeCastro, Partner, Community Investment Management | Lyneir Richardson, CEO, Chicago TREND | Ommeed Sathe, Vice President, Impact Investments, Prudential Financial | Greg Shell, Managing Director, Bain Capital | David Press, Partner, Confluence Partners (Moderator)
- Rural Development (audio) — Investing in infrastructure to address the economic, environmental & social needs of rural communities.
- Kaela Gallo, Lead Designer, Propel | Joshua Humphreys, President and Senior Fellow, Croatan Institute | Cynthia Muller, Program & Portfolio Officer, Mission Driven Investments, W.K. Kellogg Foundation | Candace Smith, Managing Director of Risk, MicroVest | Rachel Schneider, SVP, Center for Financial Services Innovation (Moderator)
- Removing Obstacles to Change: A Deeper Dive (audio) — What it takes to get investors to sign on for impact while balancing returns expectations.
- Sara Brand, Founding General Partner, True Wealth Ventures | Melissa Cheong, CIO, Zoma Capital | Erin Harkless, Senior Investment Director, Cambridge Associates | Allyson McDonald, CEO, Work Capital | Rebecca Price, Program Officer, Investors' Circle (Moderator)
- Housing (audio) — Developments and trends in impact investments in creating affordable housing and healthy communities.
- Jonathan Asmis, Chief Executive Officer, Landed | Doug Lawrence, Managing Principal, 5 Stone Green Capital | Michael Saadine, Director, Bridges Fund Management | David Sand, Chief Investment Strategist & Chief Impact Investment Officer, Community Capital Management | Lisa Davis, Executive Director and Portfolio Manager, Impact Investing, PGIM Real Estate (Moderator)
- Regenerative Agriculture (audio) — Investing in sustainable agricultural solutions for local economies and global problems.
- Sada Geuss, Investment Manager, Trillium Asset Management LLC | Caroline MacGill, Managing Director, Armonia | Aria McLauchlan, Co-founder, Land Core USA | Marc Oshima, Co-Founder & Chief Marketing Officer, Aero Farms | Steffen Schneider, Director of Farming Operations, Hawthorne Valley Farm | Karen Karp, President, KK&P (Moderator)
- Measuring Impact Challenges (audio) — Assessing impact measurement tools and effectiveness.
- Laura Albarracin, Senior Analyst, oekom research | Matt Greenfield, Managing Partner, Rethink Education | Stephanie Kater, Consultant, The Bridgespan Group | Kate Starr, CIO, Flat World Partners (Moderator)
2017 Symposium Sponsors
Big Path Capital | EMM Wealth | Fidelity Charitable | Foundation Source | Gartland & Mellina Group | Nia Global Solutions | UVI Research & Technology Park | Walden Asset Management
2017 Network Partners
Financial Women's Association | Foundation Source | GIIN | Mission Investors Exchange |NEXUS | Toniic | 100 Women in Finance | Women Moving Millions
High Water Women's 2016 Investing for Impact Symposium
- 2016 Symposium Highlights
- 2016 Symposium Agenda
- 2016 Symposium Speaker Biographies
- 2016 Symposium Program w. Acknowledgements
- 2016 Symposium Attendee List (updated)
- Video and Audio from Panels and Breakout Sessions
- Keynote: Impact Investing – The Road Forward (video) — The importance of policy developments and how we move forward with different stakeholders.
- Elizabeth Littlefield, President & CEO, Overseas Private Investment Corporation
- Followed by a conversation with Laurie Spengler, President & CEO, Enclude
- Intergenerational Impact (audio) – How will Impact Investing & millennials change philanthropy? What are some intergenerational approaches to structuring a portfolio for impact?
- Hilary Irby, Managing Director, Morgan Stanley (Moderator) | Eric Jacobsen, Co-founder, Gratitude Railroad | Justina Lai, Director of Impact Investing, Wetherby Asset Management | Anna-Marie Wascher, CEO & Co-Founder, Flat World Partners
- Diversity and Impact Investing: The Aspirational Gap (video) — In light of the international focus on gender equality and diversity as well as a number of new solutions in the market, what is needed to create greater impact?
- Sara Brand, Founding General Partner, True Wealth Ventures (Moderator) | Steven Godeke, Trustee, Jessie Smith Noyes Foundation | Gayle Jennings O'Byrne, General Partner, Maya Ventures Partners | Linda-Eling Lee, Managing Director and Global Head of ESG Research, MSCI | Pat Zollar, Managing Director, Neuberger Berman
- Public Market Investing: From Integration to Materiality to Impact (video) — Discussion around the different approaches to investing in public equities and fixed income. Innovations in data and tools and what you need to know.
- Jamie Silver, Managing Director, Mariner Investment Group (Moderator) | Erica Lasdon, Vice President Research and Advocacy, Calvert Investments | James Dearborn, Head of Municipal Investing, Columbia Threadneedle | Karina Funk, Portfolio Manager, Large Cap Sustainable Growth, Brown Advisory | Kristina Rueter, Head of Research, oekom research AG
- Entrepreneurs: Challenges & Importance to Accessing Aligned Capital for Growth (video) — Where do you go after you received initial funding? The struggle of getting funding that supports your impact mission. Women face an even higher hurdle in follow-on funding. The fragmentation of the funding market offers benefits for investors.
- David Bank, Editor & CEO, ImpactAlpha (Moderator) | Michelle Gonzalez, Managing Director and Co-founder, The Influencer Series | Molly Morse, Chief Executive Officer, Mango Materials, Inc. | Rehana Nathoo, VP of Social Innovation, Case Foundation | Kerry Rupp, Partner, True Wealth Ventures | Nate T. Yohannes, Senior Advisor, U.S. Small Business Administration
- Moving Ahead (video) — The leading voices in Impact will weigh in on the state of the industry and the steps forward for achieving integration and scale.
- Anna Snider, Head of Due Diligence for the CIO, Merrill Lynch and US Trust, (Moderator) | Christina Leijonhufvud, Managing Partner, Tideline | Tracy Palandjian, CEO, Social Finance | Debra Schwartz, Managing Director, MacArthur Foundation
- Mobilizing Women Investors and Influencers (video)
- Drianne Benner, Managing Director, Appomattox Advisory | Bonny Moellenbrock, Executive Director, Investors’ Circle | Ellen Remmer, Senior Partner, The Philanthropic Initiative
- Direct Private Investing: The Hot Topic, But How Do You Do It Well? (audio) — How to access the right deal flow, importance of networks, deal due diligence, important lessons.
- Amy Wildstein, Managing Director, Springboard Growth Capital (Moderator) | Dr. Joan Fallon, Founder & CEO, Curemark | Will Poole, Managing Partner, Capria Ventures & Unitus Seed Fund | Cynthia Ringo, Managing Partner, DBL Investors | Barbara Raho, Private & Angel Investor; Managing Director, Golden Seeds
- What’s New: Development Finance in the Developing World (audio) — Current innovations in lending, micro-finance 3.0, SME financing. What is needed and how to build for investment results and impact.
- Georgia Levenson Keohane, Executive Director, Pershing Square Foundation (Moderator) | Vivina Berla, Co-Managing Partner, SaronaAsset Management | Peter Bernard, COO, Root Capital | Candace Smith, Managing Director of Risk, MicroVest
- Investing for the Environment: Local vs Global, Private vs Public (audio) — How are different investors approaching this space, what has been effective? How do we combine these approaches to maximize impact?
- Imogen Rose-Smith, Staff Writer, Institutional Investor (Moderator) | Taryn Goodman, Director of Investment Partnerships, NatureVest | Paulus Ingram, Managing Partner, Arc Fiduciary | Cindy Nawilis, Director of Investor Relations and Operations, SunFunder | Conor Platt, Co-founding CEO and CIO, Etho Capital | Ashley Shulten, Director, BlackRock
- Investing in Cities (audio) — Innovative uses of investment structures and unique partnerships. The decentralized economy and development of local/regional models. Living cities and the role of infrastructure investment.
- Eric Glass, Senior Portfolio Manager, AllianceBernstein (Moderater) | Lisa Davis, Director, Investor Relations & Specialty Investment Originations, Pembrook Capital Management | Ivan Frishberg, First Vice President Sustainability Banking, Amalgamated Bank | Eileen Neely, Director of Capital Innovation, Living Cities | Debra Schwartz, Managing Director, MacArthur Foundation | Taj Tabassoom, Associate, SeaChange Capital Partners
- Global Economic Inclusion (audio) — Evaluating policy, development and tech approaches to this issue. What is being done to expand the investment options and is there a tension here between scale vs impact.
- Jalak Jobanputra, Founder/Managing Partner, Future Perfect Ventures (Moderator) | Arlyn Davich, Founder/CEO, PayPerks | Monica Brand Engel, Partner, Quona Capital | Joan Trant, Director of Marketing and Impact, TriLinc Global | Kathleen Utecht, Managing Partner, Core Innovation
- Sustainable Food Investments (audio) — Understanding food as a continuum; growing, distribution and waste. What is needed to make this accessible for everyone and not just for the 1%?
- Kim Fortunato, Director-Community Affairs and President, Campbell Soup Foundation (Moderator) | Michael Hoelter, Africa Agriculture and Trade Investment Fund, Deutsche Bank | David Nicola, Founder and CEO, Blackdirt Capital | Anastasia Cole Plakias, Founding Partner, Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm | Lisa Sebesta, Founder and Managing Partner, Fresh Source Capital
2016 Symposium Sponsors
Alston & Bird | Columbia Threadneedle | Cornerstone Capital Group | EMMNY | Farmland LP | Foundation Source | Golden Seeds | Neuberger Berman | Trillium Asset Management
2016 Network Partners
Arabella | Aspen Institute | Bioneers | Calvert Foundation | Catalyst Catalytic Women | Philanthropy | Connecticut Council for Philanthropy | Connext Consulting | Convening the Conveners | Council on Foundations | Global Insight International | Inspiring Capital | Invest with Values | Maximpact | Microfinance Club of New York | National Center for Family Philanthropy | Quartz | Rachel's Network | Real Leaders | SIFMA | Slow Money | Sponsors for Educational Opportunity | Triangle MFG | WISE | Women's Advancement Compact | World Post
High Water Women's 2015 Investing for Impact Symposium
- 2015 Symposium Highlights
- 2015 Symposium Program Agenda
- 2015 Symposium Acknowledgments with Agenda
- 2015 Symposium Speaker Bio's
- 2015 Symposium Attendee List
- Videos from Select Panels and Breakout Sessions
- Keynote: An Impact Investment Story — Ron, Marty and Stephanie Cordes, CordesFoundation
- Setting Impact and Portfolio Objectives, Putting it Together — Combining your investment and impact objectives.
- The Wharton Study as referenced in this panel: http://whr.tn/impactinvesting
- Investing with Impact: Food and Sustainable Agriculture — Defining and identifying your role in investing with impact focused on food and sustainable agriculture.
- The Mainstream is Going Impact — Mainstream financial services firms are incorporating impact into their array of offerings: how are they approaching this and how do they see it developing?
- An Ecosystem Approach to Environmental Investing — Defining and identifying the different roles & investments available in the environmental arena.
- High Water Women — The Role of Women in Impact Investing Initiative
- Select Press Coverage
- Empowering Women Drives Impact Investing — Financial Advisor, 23 October 2015, By Jerilyn Klein Bier
- Inside MacArthur's Impact Investing: A Conversation With Debra Schwartz — Inside Philanthropy, 26 October 2015, By Kiersten Marek
- Thanks to Our 2015 Sponsors
- THOUGHT LEADERS: Reed Smith
- MARKET MAKERS: Calvert Investments | Crop Harvest Earth Organic | Nuveen Investments | John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- GAME CHANGERS: Ardsley Partners | Goldman Sachs Asset Management | KKR | Mariner Investment Group | MicroVest Capital Management | Omidyar Network | TriLinc Global | U.S. Trust
- STEWARDS OF CHANGE: Alston & Bird | Columbia Threadneedle Investments | Gratitude Railroad | Impax Asset Management | Rockefeller & Co. | RPCK | Skopos Impact Fund
- CHANGING HEARTS & MINDS: Bank of the West BNP Paribas | Chilton Capital Management | DivestInvest | EMMNY | Foundation Source | Green Century Capital | Laura Kind McKenna | Perrett Laver
Thanks to Our Network Partners
Abernathy MacGregor | Caldy Group | Governance & Accountability Institute | Tiger 21 | AboutMicrofinance.com | Bioneers | Connext Consulting | Global Insight International | Invest with Values | Maximpact | New York Hedge Fund Roundtable | Rachel’s Network | SIFMA | Wealthrive
2015 Advisory Board
Saundra Gibson, Credit Suisse | Lisa Kleissner, Felicitas Foundation | Brace Young, Mariner investment Group | Adam Wolfensohn, Wolfensohn Fund Management
2015 Symposium Steering Committee
Drianne Benner, Appomattox Advisory | Ariane de Vienne, Cornerstone Capital | Diane Keating, High Water Women | Amy Patel, Imprint Capital | Alexandra Poe, Reed Smith | Imogen Rose-Smith, Institutional investor | Anna Snider, Merrill Lynch | Kate Starr, Starria
High Water Women's 2014 Investing for Impact Symposium
- 2014 Symposium Highlights
- Download the 2014 Symposium Agenda
- Download the 2014 Symposium Acknowledgments with Agenda
- Download 2014 Speaker and Panelist Bios
- Download the 2014 SymposiumLab Exhibitor Bios
- Download the Attendance List
- 2014 Symposium Presentations
- New, Objective Evidence of Women’s Performance in the Financial Sector — Elise N. Zoli, Equity Partner Goodwin Procter LLP | Founder, The Bottom Line (The ROI Factor Project)
- Clara Miller's Keynote address (video in its entirety)
- A Framework for Structuring a Sustainable Impact Investing Strategy — (video in its entirety) with Liesel Prtizker, Blue Haven, and Matthew Weatherly-White, CAPROCK. Moderated by Laurie Spengler, Enclude.
- 2014 Symposium Press Coverage
- Wall Street Journal Video Interview — The Wall Street Journal's Veronica Dagher interviewed Clara Miller, President of the FB Heron Foundation, Laurie Spengler, President Enclude Holdings and Candace Smith, COO Microvest – all speakers at HWW's 2014 Investing for Impact Symposium.
2014 Symposium Sponsors
Omidyar Network | Anonymous | Barclays | MicroVest | Reed Smith | Alberleen Group | Blackrock | Ecotrust Forest Management | Withers Worldwide | Calvert Investments | Ellevate | Trillium Asset Management
An innovative feature of this year's event was our SymposiumLab. The SymposiumLab demonstrated technology resources available to the conference participants including platforms for investing, trading, educational and networking groups, impact measurement solutions and other technology solutions. The SymposiumLab demonstrated the increasingly important role that technology plays in encouraging investments in this sector via educating the investor, analyzing and gaining insights into problems, expanding market coverage and industry networks around the globe, more effective measurement of financial and impact performance and creating new standard for fund transparency and financial reporting.
2014 SymposiumLab Exhibitors
Boundless Impact | HealRWorld | InvestOrbit | Plum Alley | PROSEEDER
2014 Media and Network Partners
Abernathy MacGregor | Foundation & Endowment Intelligence | Institutional Investor Forums | Wealthrive | AboutMicrofinance.com | Bioneers | Capital Good Fund | Catalyst | Connext Consulting | Governance & Accountability Institute | Maximpact | New York Hedge Fund Roundtable | eal Leaders | Sponsors for Education Opportunity | Wealth & Giving Forum | Women's Advancement Compact
- 2014 Symposium Resources
- From the Margins to the Mainstream — Assessment of the Impact Investment Sector and Opportunities to Engage Mainstream Investors. A report by the World Economic Forum Investors Industries; Prepared in collaboration with Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu.
- Charting the Course: How Mainstream Investors Can Design Visionary and Pragmatic Impact Investing Strategies. A report by the World Economic Forum Investors Industries. Prepared in collaboration with Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu – September 2014
- World Economic Forum: Ideas to Practice:
- Private Capital, Public Good: How Smart Federal Policy Can Galvanize Impact Investing — and Why It’s Urgent is available for download here and online at www.NABimpactinvesting.org US National Advisory Board on Impact Investing’s report of policy recommendations to galvanize impact investing in the United States.
- Money and Impact Investing Directory — Great resource about aligning money and values!
High Water Women's 2013 Investing for Impact Symposium
- 2013 Symposium Highlights
- 2013 Symposium Program Agenda and Speaker List