Backpacks Help Children Start School Ready To Learn
PLEASE consider the High Water Women Backpack Drive when planning and budgeting for employee volunteerism and community engagement in 2018. Since the annual High Water Women (HWW) Backpack Drive began in 2005 over 124,500 children in need have been able to start the school year with new backpacks ready to learn!
Thanks to the amazing support of over 3,000 donors and volunteers, in 2017 High Water Women provided 16,300 school backpacks stuffed with age-appropriate school supplies to children in need in the NYC/CT/NJ areas. Our goal for 2018 is to provide at least 15,000 backpacks! Helping assemble and distribute backpacks is a great way for company employees to participate in helping your community. We would be grateful to receive your funding and volunteer support in 2018.
- There are several different ways for your company to get involved. Consider which of the following would work best for you:
- Make a corporate donation, through a Company Foundation, Community Affairs or Corporate Social Responsibility Department, to fund backpacks for children in need. Also, your employees can run a fundraiser directly making contributions – many companies will then match!
- Make a corporate donation and send company volunteers to assemble backpacks at the HWW Summer Assembly events in NYC and CT.
- Sponsor a backpack drive, fundraising and assembly, for one of HWW's Charitable Partners.
- Have your Summer Interns manage a backpack fundraise and assembly as a team-building project.
- Send company volunteers, often members of a corporate Affinity Group, to HWW Summer Assembly events following up with a Volunteer Grant to HWW based on the number of company participants and hours.
More than 3,000 donors and volunteers participated in the 2017 Backpack Drive, which took place at more than twenty-five assembly/distribution locations in New York and Connecticut in July and August. Many financial services and other companies supported the drive and participated in backpack assemblies.
HWW would like to thank our top donors of 2017 including Institutional Investor and Pageant Media for featuring the High Water Women Backpack Drive as the charitable partner of their 2017 financial industry awards dinners held in NYC.
Allianz Global Investors | AXA | Barclays Bank | BNY Mellon | Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment (Barclays Center) | Brown Advisory | Cambridge Associates | Citadel | Corbin Capital Partners | Crowe Horwath | Forester Capital | GoldenTree | Grey Advertising | Imagineer Technology Group | Institutional Investor | Investec | Jenner & Block | Jennison | JP Morgan Chase | Kingdon Capital | KPMG | Mercer (CT Offices) | Merrill Lynch | MetLife | MKP Capital | Morgan Stanley | One William Street | Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe | PineBridge Investments | Pershing Square Capital | ProShares | Prudential Financial | Putnam Investments | Reed Smith | Third Avenue Funds | Time Inc. | Viking Global | Waterfall Foundation
Watch our short film about the Backpack Drive featuring children from program partners Women in Need and Good Shepherd Services. Watch the video now.
Who Receives HWW Backpacks
High Water Women works with many schools and nonprofits to reach children in need of backpacks in all 5 NYC Boroughs plus NJ, CT and Boston.
Our Charitable Partners for 2017 included:
4 Kids in Need Foundation
Children grades kindergarten through high school receive backpacks and supplies appropriate for grade level.
Backpacks include grade appropriate supplies including notebooks, folders, loose leaf paper, markers, pens, pencils, pencil cases, protractors, calculators, graph paper, staplers, dictionaries, scissors, erasers, crayons, rulers.